Speech delay is the most common type of developmental delay. A child not paying attention to other people and not responding to sounds is one of the first warnings of possible speech delay. In cases of speech delay, conducting a hearing test is the first step. Homeopathy is a well advanced and highly successful science. It is known to give promising results for developmental delays in children. Homeopathic treatment for speech delay is especially useful in treating children.
Reasons behind Speech Delay
Primary reasons leading to speech delay include hearing problems, difficulties with the tongue or palate, a short frenulum, cerebral palsy and learning disabilities. Oral motor dysfunction is another reason behind the delay in speech. Oral motor dysfunction refers to inefficient communication in the brain areas that are responsible for speech production. In some cases, delay in speech may be a part of developmental disorders like autism spectrum disorder.
However, in many cases of speech delay in children, it is not possible to identify the exact reason. Homeopathic treatment for speech delay has proved to be safe, natural and very effective with no side effects.
Milestones of Speech Development
To be able to identify speech delay, it is essential to know the signs of speech development. Ordinarily, speech begins and develops as a child grows. There are age wise limits for the same. These can be listed as follows:
– In the beginning, the baby makes babbling or cooing sounds. Around the age of 9 months, the baby begins to say basic words like ‘mama’ and ‘dada.’
– Between 12 and 15 months of age, the child starts saying words other than ‘mama’ and ‘dada’ and can understand and follow simple one-step direction.
– Between the age of 18 and 24 months, the child can say about 20 to 50 words.
– Around the age of 2 years, children can combine two words to make simple sentences. By now, the child can identify body parts and point to the eyes, ears, nose and is capable of following two step commands.
– By the time a child is 2 to 3 years old, his vocabulary has increased manifold. He is now able to combine three or more words to form a sentence. At this stage, the child’s comprehension also starts to improve.
– By the age of 4, the child can use about five words in a sentence and can tell a short story or recite a short nursery rhyme.
Red flags indicating Speech Delay in children
A child lagging in speech development should be properly evaluated to find the cause behind it. Evaluation is essential so that the right treatment may start without delay at the appropriate age. Some age-related red flags for speech delay that point to the need for evaluation is:
-No babbling sounds at nine months
-No first words at 15 months
-The child is unable to speak three to six words at 18 months
-At two years of age, the child is unable to combine words, and it ‘s hard to understand the child’s speech.
Homeopathic Treatment for Speech Delay
Homeopathic medicine for speech delay used for helping a child with late speech development include Agaricus Muscarius, Baryta Carb, Calcarea Carb, Calcarea Phos, Natrum Mur, Silicea and Tuberculinum Bovinum. Each homeopathic medicine for speech delay has certain unique properties. To decide which homeopathic medicine for speech delay suits the child, there needs to be an in-depth case study of the child. This includes getting familiar with the child’s constitution. Once a proper analysis is done, the most suitable homeopathic medicine for speech delay is used to help establish speech in the child.
The earlier a child gets started with homeopathic treatment for speech delay, the higher are the chances of developing or improving speech. Homeopathic medicines treat cases of late speech in a very safe and gentle manner. The main advantage of adopting homeopathic medicine for speech delay is that it is free from any toxic side effects.